Monday, August 5, 2013

Address of Bishop Denis Nulty at his Episcopal Ordination



The very beautiful story is told of the Curé of Ars, one Father John Mary Vianney enquiring the direction of Ars from a group of school children.  Initially he struggled to make them understand his question until one of the boys Anthony Givre showed him the way to Ars. “My little friend”, Abbé Vianney said to him “you have shown me the road to Ars, I will show you the road to heaven”. Today a statue marks that spot where the enquiry was made and the direction was given.  That was 1818 and it was said then that Abbé Vianney put all his worldly possessions onto a cart, including his bed frame, a clothes chest and a few books!  If only moving house, moving parish, moving diocese was as easy 200 years later!
Today is a very special day for me, for my family and for my friends – I thank all of you here in Kildare and Leighlin for the warmth of your hospitality, keeping the tradition of Saint Brigid so alive in this diocese.  We didn’t need directions to Carlow this August Bank Holiday weekend.  It is rumoured that local hotels were offering a special ordination deal!  I thank all of you for being here this day – I speak directly not only to the 750+ here in the Cathedral of the Assumption, but also to those who are watching the proceedings on large screens in the Cathedral Parish Centre and the George Bernard Shaw Theatre in the Visual Arts Centre.  Your presence wherever you are is deeply appreciated by me this day.  Also a special greeting to those who join us through the live streaming of this ceremony on the internet via iCatholic.ie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful in your comments. Thank you.