Monday, November 25, 2013

A Thought for the Day - Bl. Charles de Foucauld (Complete Surrender to God)

Blessed Charles de Foucauld (1858-1916), hermit and missionary in the Sahara  Meditations on the Gospel concerning the principal virtues (1896)

"She has offered her whole livelihood"

“Father, into your hands I commend my spirit” (Lk 23,46). This is the last prayer of Our Master, our Beloved. May it be ours. And not only ours at our last moments, but at all times. “My Father, I commend myself to you, I give myself to you, I leave myself in your hands. My Father, do with me as you wish. Whatever you do with me, I thank you, I accept everything. I am ready for anything. I thank you always. So long as your will is done in me and in all creatures, I have no other wish, my God. I put my soul into your hands, giving it to you, my God, with all my heart's love, which makes me crave to abandon myself to you without reserve, with utter confidence. For are you not my Father?”


*To give thanks to God in all circumstances is truly a difficult thing to do. It is truly an act of humility to hand oneself over to the Lord and accept ones difficulties and circumstances with an attitude of thanksgiving.  The lives of the Saints are a testimony to that gratitude.  They all learned the same thing.  It does not mean we will always feel wonderful but that our interior attitude will be one which will turn towards God despite the problems or the circumstances and difficulties we find ourselves troubled with.  I have certainly not put this into practice as much as I would like but complaining and mumbling to ourselves doesn't exactly bring us peace or joy.  It is a sacrifice to give thanks too especially when one is faced with many trials.  It is the narrow path, this way of abandonment and complete trust, but a surer way to Peace and ultimately Joy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful in your comments. Thank you.